Wednesday, April 28, 2010

For what must we forgive our mothers?

In lieu of writing I have taken to reading travel guides particularly ones on ‘Barbados’ oh and I'm see my sister this weekend. She is brilliant at righting my mood with her easy smile and sensible approach. Until then I'll be reading of fun in the sun, that and I came across this painting. I could not stop looking at her.

Franz von Stuck's Portrait of Frau Feez
An uneven break

She holds tight the misery left after the parting seeking in it the familiar
Finding only bitter regret and her misspend youth
That and her children with their face bright with endless possibility
She vowed then never to impart to them the advice her mother bestowed on matters of heart
In fact, she has decided never to communicate her wisdom on love but to allow them their own tragedy
It will soon prove a grievous error and it too she will bear as well as this end

All my love,
Simone

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful painting, simply mesmerising. I hope you enjoy your time with your sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have lots of fun in the sun Simone! The woman in the painting is very mesmeric indeed.

    My love, Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think G.W. Bush asks himself the same question, Simone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I covet that picture. I have just the place for it. Beautifully simple.

    Bisou, Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The painting does hold your attention. It's beautiful.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a very tuching is you post,my dear Simone...
    I like these painting and indeed you stay to look at her:-)*

    LOve and many hugs for you,
    ***Violetta***

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know anything of the history of this painting, but find the sitter's expression incredibly sad. It's such a beautiful, deceptively simple image and like the other people who commented, I would love to own it. Again I've learned about another painter, this time a German Expressionist, so thank you, Simone! Your knowledge of art is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had a bit of a travel bug lately too. Must be the spring air floating around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is very stunning....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a lovely time with your sister. Family is precious...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's such a beautiful turn-of-the-century painting that you found.

    ReplyDelete
  12. enjoy the time with your sister. and yes, the painting is lovely. it has a fantastic sense of grace, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Both the painting and your words.

    I hope you have a wonderful time with your sister.

    ReplyDelete